Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sixphotosnuff Abraxas Dragun stephemeris

Potential Members: Please include a short message in your application to help us weed out spam. Please note that we ARE NOT AN ONLINE STORE.

American brands of nasal snuff?

md363md363 Posts: 1,043
I saw a thread in the forums that had a link to an article where Swisher claimed that they do not make nasal snuff. I bought my first container of dry snuff a couple days ago and it is Superior Scotch Dry Snuff made by Swisher International. It is nasal snuff right? They also had Honey Bee, Navy and Tube Rose at the store and I assume they are nasal snuff as well. I have been using it for my nose and it seems fine. Just wondering what that article was about and if there are other American made nasal snuffs that I can buy in the USA.

Comments

• horus92horus92 Posts: 1,045
    Most people who use American snuffs put them in their mouths like Copenhagen, but they make great nasal snuffs as well. AFAIK there's no evidence that the recipes for plain scotches have changed significantly since they were originated in the 18th century, they're just tobacco and salt. For some reason in the 19th century people, especially southern women, started rubbing snuffs on their gums rather than sniffing them.

Indian snuffs are mostly (though not exclusively) used as dips in India but they're great in the nose too and in places like Tibet and Mongolia that import Indian snuff they're just used nasally.

Sweet snuffs like Honey Bee and Navy Sweet came later and were more explicitly designed for oral use but a lot of people like them nasally as well.
  • md363md363 Posts: 1,043
    I think I'll stick with the Superior Scotch Dry Snuff when it comes to American snuffs for now and order any sweet/mentholated snuffs from MrSnuff.com to ensure I get snuff that is made specifically for nasal use. However I do really like the Superior that I'm using now, it does work great for nasal use.
    Kpod
  • horus92horus92 Posts: 1,045
    I'd highly recommend you try some of the more "natural" snuffs on your first order as well, especially considering you like American Scotches (props!) If you like scotch, you'll LOVE toast (Fribourg & Treyer's High Dry Toast and Wilsons of Sharrow's Irish High Toast #22 are my personal favorites), and Samuel Gawith's Kendal Brown Original is another one I'd try as an excellent example of a coarser, darker natural snuff.
    I was thinking of trying the Wilsons of Sharrow Lemon Toast but I will also try the ones you suggested
  • LincolnSnuffLincolnSnuff Posts: 249
    +1 on WoS IHT #22 (my second favorite snuff) and F&T HDT which in my opinion is a bit more complex than the IHT 22. The IHT 22 has a better nic hit IMO.
    Thanks for the info, that clears it up a lot.
  • like_a_ninjalike_a_ninja Posts: 112
    Couldnt have said it better myself. Bottom line if you like plain scotches youll love toasts, definitely more of a buttery richer taste than scotches. Be sure not to overlook Toque Quit. Go for the 25 g tin though youll be kicking yourself when the small one is gone.
    jayson
  • jaysonjayson Posts: 220

Couldnt have said it better myself. Bottom line if you like plain scotches youll love toasts, definitely more of a buttery richer taste than scotches. Be sure not to overlook Toque Quit. Go for the 25 g tin though youll be kicking yourself when the small one is gone.

I would go so far as to say buy it in bulk. I'm kicking myself for only buying a 25g lol. It's seems like forever waiting for the next order to come in.