Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sixphotosnuff SWS

Potential Members: Please include a short message in your application to help us weed out spam. Please note that we ARE NOT AN ONLINE STORE.

Sherwood Savinelli

Can anyone tell me anything about this pipe? I've found an estate one for sale for $25 and am considering it for my first pipe... Thanks!
Sly3904

Comments

• Rock Briar 984 KS
  • bobbob Posts: 6,777
    get it unless you'll cry over the 25 dollars (I've been at that point so)
    scottofksuMattheFox
  • MattheFoxMattheFox Posts: 1,179
    Savinelli's are good made pipes. The things you think about with an estate pipe are wear (dings, chips & bite marks)
    You look for burnt bowls and you look for fills. If you like a design & bowl size a $25.00 estate is right regardless of imperfections caused by misuse or over use
    bobstogieJuxtaposerscottofksu
  • stogiestogie Posts: 3,133
    edited January 2013
    I have several Savinelli's and consider them to be 'workhorses'. Maybe not always the most beautiful, but well made and if you mess up, well, your not out too terrible much. Good luck and ENJOY!!!
    MattheFoxscottofksuBAS
  • PotPoePotPoe Posts: 723
    Love my Savienelli Short Bent Pot. First pipe i bought new, and for $60, i am nothing but happy with it. It takes the 6mm balsa filter, and i have never have "juice" go into my mouth. My next pipe will probably also be Savinelli as well.
    MattheFoxscottofksuBAS
    edited January 2013
    I found this... I think the "KS" means that it is a larger version of the pipe design (King Size)
    http://www.savinelli.it/en/ricerca
    scottofksu
  • Well, here it is and it is mine! Thank you all for your advice! Now, could some one direct me to a pipe smoking guide for dummies? Also, any recommendations on mild, not overpowering pipe tobacco? ;)
    Pipe.JPG
    640 x 480 - 19K
    Bowl.JPG
    640 x 480 - 21K
    PeteTschantz
    edited January 2013
    Very nice purchase.
    A straight Virginia blend is light & sweet with no bite
    scottofksu
  • n9inchnailsn9inchnails Posts: 3,226
    edited January 2013
    MattheFox said:

Very nice purchase.
    A straight Virginia blend is light & sweet with no bite

I don't know what VAs your smoking but straight Virginia's are notorious for biting. Novices should steer clear of straight VA unless you like a scorched mouth. It takes experience to smoke most straight VAs without getting biten. I would recommend Burley blends for novices, they maybe a little strong but Burleys generally don't bite easily.
    stogie
    When I first started I was given a mild Virginia tobacco. It was light in color and very sweet. I found it to be very nice but it might be the fact that I was comparing it to Marlboro Red's.
    Just wanting to be helpful, I found this guide:
    http://thepipesmoker.wordpress.com/tobaccos/
    scottofksu
  • You guys are awesome!
    @scottofsku If you are very patient with yourself and your new pipe, you will find smoking them very enjoyable
    n9inchnailsscottofksu
    @MattheFox I didn't mean to be rude or anything but novices should be warned about VAs. Its the high sugar content that makes them bite so easily. Sugars burn hot and hot smoke can burn your tongue, especially if you puff too fast and hard as novices tend to do.
    scottofksuMattheFoxSly3904
  • As with snuff, I intend to take it slow and easy...
    MattheFox
    @n9inchnails I'm with you 100% . The pipe experience is a completely different world of tobacco. What smells great in a package can be like fire. Even the draw method can can bring a bitter experience. I remember a friend gave me a bag of vanilla saying it was great but it bit me like a pack of wild dogs.
  • Where do you guys buy your pipe tobacco?
    I go to a "Faders" tobacco shop. Costs more but it is close and I can really examine what I am buying. You can even try your hand at creating your own blend right in the store (understanding that once it is in the bag, it is yours)
    scottofksu
    www.smokingpipes.com is where I get most of my pipe smoking supplies, they have a huge selection and fair prices
    scottofksu
    the number one rule with pipes is that you're here to enjoy it so that means that the majority of "rules" pipe smokers talk about are very helpfull suggestions. Definatily worth paying attention to and trying and seeing what ultimatily works out for you. Some of these suggestions are a lot more fast and loose and some more hard and immutable. So don't be confused when you read rules that contradict each other. Enjoy and enjoy. Oh yeah and a pipe is not a hammer.
    scottofksuMattheFoxTheBoggartPeteTschantz
    Nor is it a incense machine, Enjoy the lingering smells not recreate them every second (Don't over smoke)
    The bowl isn't a pot on the stove that needs to be constantly stirred. poked and prodded (lol)
    scottofksuMr_O
  • stogiestogie Posts: 3,133
    And remember that it is the journey. Take it nice and slow. Trying to puff hard or fast WILL result in tongue bite.... basically burning your tongue. Don't worry, it heals quick and we have all done it. The mantra is 'slow and easy wins a great experience'.
    n9inchnailsMattheFoxscottofksuBAS
    also a pipe tool is good if your a wimp and your fingers don't make good tamps.
    Juxtaposerscottofksu
    Don't forget to pick up pipe cleaners :)
    Juxtaposerscottofksubob
  • Thankfully I have thick callouses on my fingers from playing guitar so I figure they'll work for tamping...
    I'm starting to get excited! Hope UPS gets here quick!
    However, I did want to clarify a couple things to ensure that I understand the process of packing and lighting a pipe correctly.
    Packing
    As I understand it, you pack 1/3 of the bowl loosely. Then add another 1/3 and pack it slightly harder. Finally, pack the remaining 1/3 tightly causing the bowl to be packed up to about a mm or two from the rim.
    Lighting
    You then take a match and light evenly. Once lit for the first time (without drawing) you let the bowl go out and then tamp it down before lighting again.
    Is this correct?
    Oh, will I need to change the filter (is this pipe even likely to have a filter?) when I receive the pipe?
    Thanks again, guys!
    bob
  • JuxtaposerJuxtaposer Posts: 2,892
    Packing of the bowl if thought of being done with horizontal force can make a big difference. The Frank Method uses this idea. You can google it when you are ready. The charring light IS done with drawing. Rarely some tobaccos will be able to be lit on the first match but normally most will not take. This is probably why the charring light is a standard. It's just because a pipe simply does not light well on the first match. Don't hesitate to give it a third match either. The filter, throw away and the stinger if there is one, pull out. Perhaps after smoking a few bowls some of this will make more sense. Enjoy!
    scottofksustogie
    edited January 2013
    The idea behind the charred light is to char the top of the bowl then use a tamper to crush the char into dust and spread it evenly across the top of the bowl, the char dust then takes a light instantly burning the entire surface of the bowl allowing it to burn evenly. It may take several lights to get enough char to crush to dust but when you get enough char dust on top of the bowl even the wetter tobaccos should burn easily.
    scottofksustogie
  • Bliss! Received said pipe on Saturday, which prompted a visit to the tobacconist on Sunday. Picked up some matches, pipe cleaners, and 3 bags of tobacco. Regarding the tobacco, two were store blends (i.e., Pure Comfort and 14-Karat) and one was from a bulk container of Mac Baren's Vintage Syrian. The Pure Comfort is very much an aromatic, I'm assuming, as it smells and tastes similar to black and mild cigars (Black Cavendish?) I have no idea what the 14-Karat is but it tastes like a more complex version of Prince Albert. Finally, the Vintage Syrian (which I really like) starts off with some sweetness and a very complex flavor before beginning to tastes like a smooth, but strong, cigar around mid-bowl.

I'm definitely hooked on the pipe! It has been taking me 2 sitings to get through a bowl, and I definitely drag it out just slowly puffing away for 10 minutes or so at a time. Much to my amazement, I don't find the nicotine overpowering...

Thanks gang! You're an awesome bad influence on me! ;)
    JuxtaposerMattheFoxbigmickstogie
    @scottofksu So how are you making out with your pipe?
    scottofksu
  • VERY well! I finally figured how to correctly pack a bowl... I was packing it WAY too tight at first. Here I am piping through the countryside of rural Kansas!
    photo.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 408K
    bobstogie
  • Ok, any idea how I rotate the picture... :D

Ok, any idea how I rotate the picture... :D

no

• Thanks for the tip @TheBoggart ! I wondered why pipe smokers had so many pipes!
  • @TheBoggart Upon your suggestion I have purchased a Peterson Killarney 999. Now, how do I determine which tobacco best suits it? My feeling is that it is probably a matter of personal taste. That is, through trial and error you determine which pipe smokes "best" for a given style of tobacco (i.e., Virginian, Aromatic, English). Thanks again for your guidance!
  • another option is Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipes. These smoke well, are cheap, and if you ghost one it isn't a big deal ;-)

Another thought: if you try a tobacco and don't care for it, try it in another pipe (or two). you might find that it is the combo you don't like.

Enjoy!
    bobTheBoggartchrisscottofksu
  • Thanks for the tip @PeteTschantz !
    However, I've yet to find a tobacco that I don't like!
    PeteTschantz

another option is Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipes. These smoke well, are cheap, and if you ghost one it isn't a big deal ;-)

Another thought: if you try a tobacco and don't care for it, try it in another pipe (or two). you might find that it is the combo you don't like.

Enjoy!

So so true I had a pipe that I always smoked blends I would normal not like and the smoke was just divine. Same tobacco in any of my other pipes equaled terrible terrible smoke.

scottofksu
  • My feeling is that it is probably a matter of personal taste. That is, through trial and error you determine which pipe smokes "best" for a given style of tobacco (i.e., Virginian, Aromatic, English).

Spot on! I have a Pete 999 army mount that I smoke scented flakes in and an 80s silver spiggot (similar but with a squared shank rather than the rounded one of the 999) that is reserved for GH&Co Brown Irish - my all time favourite smoke, although it's not for everyone!

I smoke these tobaccos in these pipes as they have relatively small bowls, and flakes and twists tend to be slow burning. I prefer a slightly larger bowl for mixtures but YMMV. The most important thing is to enjoy your new pipe!

scottofksubob
  • scottofksuscottofksu Posts: 131
    edited February 2013
    Two days later... It's here! Only problem is that it is "ghosted" to heck and back... I smoked a bowl of aromatic out of it and it might as well have been a latakia blend. It has a cake that is thick and inconsistent so I'm thinking I'll ream it, salt soak it, and start over... I read on the internet that this is what you are to do to rid yourself of pipe ghosts; is this correct?

Thanks, as always!
    999.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 693K
    stogie
  • TheBoggartTheBoggart Posts: 162
    That's right. A salt an alcohol exorcism should do the trick. Personally, I don't use salt, I just balance the pipe and fill it with alcohol. You want the strongest alcohol you can get your hands on, but avoid booze with strong flavours or flavours that are unpleasant to you. I usually use Wray and Nephew rum, which is about the strongest thing we can get in the UK. Let the pipe sit for 6-12 hours then pour out the alcohol, go to work with some pipe cleaners, wipe out the bowl and let it rest for 48 hours. You may need to repeat the process more than once, but usually once is enough.
    scottofksu
  • asieg33asieg33 Posts: 226
    Noticed Matthefox was packing Captain Black white. My former blend after years of moving around. I have one Savinelli, a full bent with a long "pipe" bowl and straight grain (anniversary edition). I frequently give it preference over my Dunhills and Charatans.
    Enjoy it.
    Now if Rake can figure out how to put snuff in the bowl, the bit in my nose and fill my sinuses I would stand in even more awe than of his straw trick (which was genius)
    scottofksu