Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sixphotosnuff Abraxas Dragun stephemeris

Potential Members: Please include a short message in your application to help us weed out spam. Please note that we ARE NOT AN ONLINE STORE.

Who makes the strongest Menthol snuff?

SnuffSnifferSnuffSniffer Posts: 618
edited February 2013 in Types of Snuff
I have try Hedges L260, McChrystal's Original & Genuine & Toque Menthol, My question is who makes the strongest menthol snuff?

Comments

• IMO, it would be Hedge. O&G is rather warm for a medicated. 
  • theratroomtheratroom Posts: 202
    edited March 2012
    Without a doubt it has to be pöscl with Radford the one in the tin not the tap box. Terrible stuff.
  • n9inchnailsn9inchnails Posts: 3,099
    Without a doubt Hedges L260, its like snuffing pure menthol
  • Mr_OMr_O Posts: 1,693
    I also say Hedges probably, but what about McC jip?
    BigNose
  • GentlemanGentleman Posts: 67
    edited March 2012
    Another vote for Hedges L260 here. I'm not the biggest fan of medicated snuffs (read: leaky beak) but I really do enjoy the stuff when I do use it on rare occasions.
  • erictheredericthered Posts: 230
    Radford is a snuff with a mighty mighty draught of menthol and no mistake.  I only recently tried Hedges, and expected it to be very powerful, but found it gentle by comparison.  Honourable mention also for Sturco.
    SirSnuff
  • JuxtaposerJuxtaposer Posts: 2,824
    edited March 2012
    I think the combination of menthol, eucalyptus, AND camphor make S.M. Blue somewhat outstanding in its field. 
    I prefer, the SM500, Brn, Gold, Menth Plus. I only get the camphor from the Blue. I thought the Menthol Plus had all three, but I could be wrong. Seems like Menthol Plus has more menthol and eucalyptus and less camphor, it can be overwhelming for sure.
    BigNose
  • JustinJustin Posts: 328
    I think Red Bull is fiercer than Hedges, but frankly both are so eyewatering it's difficult to be sure!
  • SlothSloth Posts: 244

Menthol Plus just seems like extreme menthol and that's all, to me, whereas Hedges and Red Bull have other things going on. Radfords 'in the big tin' has a spicey feel. I like them all but they're too intense for regular use IMO. President and J&H Wilson med no99 are more suitable for solid straight menthols that aren't mind blowingly extreme.

Ok I just looked it up, SM Blue has camphor and menthol, Menthol Plus has camphor, menthol and eucalyptus. It would be nice to get the Hedge's formula though.

I have some Radford( in the tin), but no red Bull, I'm wondering how they compare.

SM Blue also has eucalyptus! 
    jayson
    edited March 2012

I looked it up on the Sheffield Exchange web page, I can double check WoS's website.

You may be right, it's a little unclear on thier site, saying that the SM has eucalyptus and menthol, and SM Blue is one of the variations of the SM with camphor added....Why the discrepancy(sp?) I don't know..

To my taste the Blue is too camphory, more into some of the others, but to each his own. :)

I see...well...I may be wrong. But I have also seen it listed for sale with a description of having all three. Regardless like you say the camphor is quite strong. I can't really tell by snuffing it. I think I should if it was there.

Yeah maybe it's hard to tell. I just know that I had a tin for a while and gave it a few go's. All I could personally percieve was the camphor and gave it to a friend, it was just too much for me personally, but a lot of folks love it, I don't fault them for doing so. I do think it could be great for one with a cold especially, or just loves some of the medicateds.

• Besides the radford from the tin and all the wilsons menthol the ice liquorice and vanilla ice are strong menthols as well.
  • SlothSloth Posts: 244
    @TomStrasbourg - Absolutely, and as you may have seen from my reviews I'm very much an enthusiast of them. They're not as tear-inducingly strong as Hedges etc. though!
  • I'm not a big menthol fan myself. All I have to do for my nose to be cold 8 months of the year is go outside. The main reason I checked this page out is so I know what to avoid, although I do like menthol in moderation. I have to take pathetic pinches of radford but it's pretty good then. @ sloth I can't imagine how strong hedges must be. I like taxi green and dr rumneys because I don't find the menthol overwhelming and I like the eucalyptus of the rumneys. RnR has a perfect little hint of menthol for me and gawith apricot has a reasonable amount of menthol as does SG Richt Kind. Now if I lived in the south and not Michigan's upper peninsula I think I'd like more menthols. They are good for getting the pipes dripping and cleared that's for sure.
  • Looks like I must get my Hedges then, I love the arctic blast of strong menthol, it's an awaking.

I think you should. As mentioned by someone above there's something else in there too. I find it very good.  Perhaps a masterpiece!

• Sly3904Sly3904 Posts: 645
    @SnuffSniffer I am on my first tin of hedges and after thinking I couldn't take menthols I really like it.  It seems the only mentholated snuffs that really bother me are ones with other added flavorings, or a schmalzer.  I had few problems with Mccrystals Original and Genuine, but the Hedges is just great.  I only take it a couple times a day usually though as the menthol really lingers.  But it's good stuff.
  • @Tom Strasbourg. A fellow yooper. I live in Marquette. You?
  • i think mcchrystals hits harder than red bull... i like red bull as a day to day, but VERY strangely tried an old tin of o&g today i didnt like when i got it... nearly full. not anymore, ive just experienced sudden flash addiction, now im trying to think of the best way to get the rest out the bottom corners cleanly. first tin ill have finished. i dont even snuff much.
  • Dholakia 666, snafu medicated, WoS Dynamite, WoS SM 500, Dr.Rumneys mentholyptus, Hedges L 260, Redbull
    SnuffSnifferMr_OMattheFoxOhioSnuffer
  • Strongest in menthol,or in nicotine? Menthol wise I would say[out of what I have tried so far] definately either Wilsons Sharrow Menthol or Poshl Radford Menthol.They are both quite similar in that it seems someone forgot to add tobacco to the mix.Straight up menthol to the point it gives what could only be described as a menthol induced brain freeze.Unfortunately they arent very satisfying[to me anyway]in nicotine content.
  • HR_pufnsnuffHR_pufnsnuff Posts: 416
    edited February 2013

I think the combination of menthol, eucalyptus, AND camphor make S.M. Blue somewhat outstanding in its field. 

I have long suspected the SM stood for sadomasochism. The recipe and fact that people still use the stuff confirms it. :))
    toffeenose
  • toffeenosetoffeenose Posts: 1,319
    Anyone tried McC's Sturco? I bought a tiny tin a while back and it was pretty powerful. I gave it to a friend who fell in love with it though, and haven't had a chance to sample it again.
  • XanderXander Posts: 7,382
    Yes, I've tried Sturco. I enjoyed the flavor, but the menthol made it too painful to enjoy the snuff. I'm not sure if its the strongest menthol out there, but its surely McC's strongest one.
  • howdydavehowdydave Posts: 1,408
    I do when I stick a chunk of camphor in a container with some Tom Buck and leave it there for a while.
  • DogwallaDogwalla Posts: 942
    For me it's Snafu Medicated. The menthol/Camphor combo in that is just insane. I'm a menthol lover and it almost throws me over the edge.
    BigNose
  • Leonhard Dingler, (South Africa): Magnet Gold .
    A really mean snuff, you need a nose made of cast iron ...

La Nazionale, (Switzerland): Mentopin
    Odd stuff, Extremely medicated. I am not sure if it is still made in southern Switzerland,
    rumours were, that it is now produced in South Africa. Same name and appearance, however. A snuff so dry that you can keep it forever.

Patrick B. Ludwig
  • I've tried Sturco, JIP, O&G, and Hedges. Out of those 4, Hedges by far has the most menthol. Even non-snuff enthusiasts agree.
  • snuffnpuffsnuffnpuff Posts: 200
    I also like mentholated snuffs. I've only tried a few Poschle, RedBull, McCh O&G and Hedges. Out of all those I'd definately give the most menthol crown to Hedges.
    BigNose
    I'd urge folks to try the WoS menthols if they haven't. SM's: Brown, 500, Gold. Also Extra Menthol, and Menthol Plus(which I guess also has the trifecta of menthol, eucalyptus and camphor) it IMO has the camphor more in balance than the Blue(for me too much camphor, and I can't really discern anything else in it.). I always have some Hedges on hand though...
    Xanderbob
  • BigNoseBigNose Posts: 332
    Hedges 260 by a country mile. But i've more to try so there may be something meaner out there. Honorable mention to O&G, JWH med 99 and some of the 6 photo medicated's. I love menthol, but only in the evening as the runny nose is a bit much during the day.
    Mr_O
  • MattheFoxMattheFox Posts: 1,179
    If you tried that Bruton Cerberus mix I created, it will bast your nose.
  • linguistlinguist Posts: 269
    redbull is very strong not mentholated it is like eucoliptulated. Hedges is the same but not coarse like redbull. O&G is mild sweat scent like peppermint chewing gums.
    Very tiny pinch of hedges is enough to feel the strong effect.
  • shezzuk1shezzuk1 Posts: 182
    I have RedBull, McChrystals O&G (Very mild menthol), McChrystal's Sturco menthol, Poschl's Gletscher Prise and JIP. I'd say JIP is the best, it fizzes my nose and brain like nothing else.
  • hdsalehdsale Posts: 274
    @Mr_O , My opinion on the WoS line:
    WoS Extra Menthol makes my eyes water, nose drain, nostrils burn, and kicks. I like it for congestion as long as I can get it into the sinuses...
    WoS SM Blue is not quite as strong but has several flavor elements that make it different - its not all menthol.
    I recommend WoS Extra Menthol, its easy to find, relatively inexpensive, and kicks like a bull.
    Yeah, the Extra Menthol deserves it's name, hard for me to compare with the Menthol +, SM500, etc. Very close to my senses.

My deal with the SM Blue is just that, all I personally get from it is camphor, which I sometimes like in a lesser concentration, like in the Menthol+, or - I believe the SM Gold, both faves of mine (at the right time anyways)...