Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sixphotosnuff SWS

Potential Members: Please include a short message in your application to help us weed out spam. Please note that we ARE NOT AN ONLINE STORE.

W.E. Garrett Scotch

cstokes4cstokes4 Posts: 4,628
edited September 2012 in Types of Snuff

User:Date:Rating:
Dunnyveg11-09-2011 05:10PM
Grind: Extra FineMoisture: Very DryNicotine: Huge

I have a love-hate relationship with this snuff. What I love about this snuff is that it has very high nicotine levels with a relatively mild burn. It also isn't as smokey and strong-tasting as some of the other scotches. This snuff is also widely available in the US, and relatively inexpensive. I use the scotch-type snuffs to create my own blends. This works best with strongly flavored snuffs, such as McChrystal's or Wilson's, but not so well with Toque and other less flavorful brands. Snuff blending with Levi Garrett not only allows for the creation of an almost unlimited number of combinations, but adds kick and lessens the price. The biggest thing I hate about the scotch-style snuffs are the high levels of TSNA's, which are the result of the flu-curing that imparts the smokey taste. It would also be nice if this snuffwere a bit more coarse and moist. The only way I've found to use this snuff without going into coughing or sneezing spasms is to fill my lungs with air and then gently sniff while holding the back of my tongue tightly against the top of my throat. A fine, useful product, but not without its problems.

Comments

• XanderXander Posts: 7,382
    edited August 2012
    Certainly this is the easiest snuff to find in most retail establishments in the US. Its fine and dry, even as scotches go. It packs a very nice nicotine punch. The smokey-barbecue aroma is less pronounced in this than in most strong scotches, but it is more here than in the plain scotches. Although it is very smooth for a scotch, its not really good for beginners, but it is loved by most advanced snufftakers. I recommmend getting the bottles of this (known as Levi Garrett) instead of the cardboard tubes. The bottled version seems to be more airtight and generally stores better. Bulk snuff generally tastes better than small tins anyway.

Historical note: Also sold under the name "Levi Garrett" who was W.E.'s father and ran the mill previosly. The snuff's origin lies on the Red Clay Creek in northen Delware.
    Rating: 4/5
    First Tried: March 2009
    Style: mild Scotch
    Grind: fin (very fine)
    Moisture: dry
    Color: light tan
    edited September 2012

Pike Mopers07-21-2010 12:05AM
    Grind: FineMoisture: Very DryNicotine: High

Pure American deliciousness. Very smokey note when the container is opened, and an even more pronounced and tasty smoke flavor in the nose. Exceptionally dry, this snuff ends up all over my black shirts after I take a pinch. Long-lasting flavor and lovely nicotine hit. I will definitely keep this readily available, cheap snuff on hand at all times.

edited September 2012
    jstar03-01-2010 06:31PM
    Grind: FineMoisture: DryNicotine: High

Im new to snuffing " Only 3 days in" I bought W.E Garrett and Rooster.. I compared the two and W.EGarrett is alot better for my personal Prefference. Here are the reasons why. When I sniff W.E Garrett theres a nice BBQ smell and taste but most of all I feel a strong pinch in my throat that I like alot . Its similar to smoking a cigarette when it hits you in the back of the throat...A pinch of this stuff in each nostral gives me a hit equivalent to a marlboro red. If your an ex smoker like I am you might like that.. With Rooster , It delivered a slightly bigger nicotine rush but I felt that it lacked flavor and smell and didnt have a strong enough pinch or burn in the throat when I swallow... Now im not sure if your suppose to feel a pinch at all in the throat but i persoanlly like it that way... 

Red Star10-05-2009 12:25PM
    Grind: Extra FineMoisture: DryNicotine: High

First of all I must say, the cardboard container this snuff comes in, is quite ugly and unpractical to carry it with you. And even the small cans come in insane sizes for a snuff that high in nicotine and strong in flavour. Well, there must be some folks around using this in high quantities, I guess. The flavour is very smokey and pronounced, still slightly mellower than the Rooster. The smokey flavour is what sets the U.S. scotches apart from the english high dry toasts. And the overall stronger nicotine hit. The nicotine in this one seems to be strong, but manageable. Just high enough, to satisfy without kicking you out of your shoes. I must say I prefer the HDT´s over the scotches, as the smokieness has a tendency to overshadow the tobacco flavour. Still, this is a very good example of a well done scotch.

ibook753710-03-2009 10:34PM
    Grind: FineMoisture: DryNicotine: High

This Is Snuff. Powdered Tobacco for your nose. It is fine, dry and, filled with nicotine. This was my first snuff all I could find. I have had 2 cigs and thought they were like breating warm air, thats it no flavor, no nicotine, just blaaa. So I thougth I had a high tolerance for nicotine, NOPE, this stuff was the stuff that tought me about Vitamin N. Try spinning around in a circle for ~20 mins and then try to stand straight is what this stuff was like the first time. A nicotine Buzz in a snap. It is kind of hard to take in that your throat will get coated the first time if you have no idea what to do other than a sniff in the nose but with time it will be easily mastered. Its got a wonderful BBQ note that is a little less pronounced then square but for someone looking for a good scotch snuff give it a go it should be easy enough to find at a drug store even if the guy thinks your nuts.

Mr Snuffypants08-23-2009 01:05AM
    Grind: Extra FineMoisture: Very DryNicotine: High

This is the one to try, if you feel you have a bit of Cowboy in you. Pleasantly smokey, with a nice rich underlying Tobacco flavour that comes back frequently for a long time after a pinch. Like all the otherAmerican Scotches, it isn't something for novice noses, but for the daring and experienced, it's as clean and satisfying as a whiff of fresh air.

Juxtaposer05-07-2009 03:00AM
    Grind: Extra FineMoisture: Very DryNicotine: High

I have the Levi Garrett so I don't feel a need to try this. If it's not the same then my Levi is better and that is that. Ha ha this is my one hundredth review and I don't even have the snuff for it.

Spyro03-29-2009 05:08AM
    Grind: FineMoisture: Very DryNicotine: Huge

Most of the reviews have covered this already. All I can add is that this is a an extremely dryAmerican Scotch and takes a lot of of practice to get used to it. It has a smokey taste to it and mixes well with Kendal Brown or any other natural tasting blends. It even mixes well with Toque Menthol if you want spice it up some more. I used this once in a daily rotation and ingested it all day on an empty stomach. The nicotine hit was was unbelievable and left me feeling like I had been using diet pills all day. This stuff is no joke and can really jack your world if your are looking for a high nicotine snuff. The taste is there but one has to really work at it to bring it out.

edited September 2012

Johndeere8902-18-2009 10:16PM
    Grind: Extra FineMoisture: Very DryNicotine: Medium

This was my very first snuff, i bought it at walmart just wondering what it was and now here i am a full fledged snuffer :). So far i have only tried this and rooster out of the american scotches and i would say this has the most smoky flavor out of the too however i like the flavor of the rooster better here is my reasoning. garret has the smell of and old campire pit on a cold day after it has rained where as the rooster has more of a currently burning or just went out smell. i guess the only way to sum it up is that the W.E. Garret has kind of a cold smell compared to the warm smell of rooster which i personally prefer. Now just to clarify i do like the garret quite a bit it's just not my favor

ojthedog12-28-2008 02:52AM
    Grind: Extra FineMoisture: DryNicotine: High

One of the finest of the bone-dry, super fine American Scotch snuffs that will hit like a freight train if taken for granted. Smoky and satisfying, W.E. follows only Rooster in strength and satisfaction, but with a deeper BBQ note. In a blind taste test, I would most certainly mistake this one for it's more revered brother, Levi. Same color, moisture, flavor, nic hit and finish. If not for a different name and packaging, I would think it the same snuff! As a matter of fact, it might be, only the name Levi is used for the largest size selection. Regardless, this is my second favorite Scotch, or third if indeed a differentsnuff than brother Levi, four and a half smoky BBQed snootfuls for W.E. Garrett.

• This reminds me of twinings lapsing souchong tea. Perfect pairing right there
  • bogybillbogybill Posts: 111
    i don't know what to say. i have a large metal tube of the stuff. it stands there like a monolith. i do use it from time to time, but mostly i use my candy-ass toasts. if you were one of those guys preparing for civilization collapse---couple pounds of this would keep you in N for a long time.