Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sixphotosnuff SWS

Potential Members: Please include a short message in your application to help us weed out spam. Please note that we ARE NOT AN ONLINE STORE.

Chewing Tobacco and Moist Snuff

MrSnuffMrSnuff Posts: 1,487
edited November 2011 in General
This post is more for the non-US members.

I have found a source of US chewing tobacco and moist snuff. I would like to solicit opinions as to which you would like to try. I will pick only 10 to experiment with (ie the vagaries of getting it to the UK), so whichever comes out tops....

Also consider the price. I will break it down on a per pouch basis, though obviously I would be sending over several hundred tins/pouches. 

Here is how it works: I send it over a $4 a pouch plus $1 shipping. HMRC will Add these two numbers together before they start. So, $5. Call it GBP3. Excise applies at GBP79 per Kg. A 3oz pouch is for the sake of argument 75g. Add GBP5.92. Subtotal: GBP8.92. Now add customs duty at 40.6%; new total GBP12.52. Now add to that VAT. New total GBP15.05. That's cost remember. So now add on 20% profit: GBP18.06. 

The question is, would any body be willing to pay GBP18.06 for 75g of tobacco?

I find it incredible that on a GBP3 bag of baccy you have to pay the government GBP12. But it is what it is.

Here are your options for Chewing Tobbaco. I will post the Moist Snuff later:

Apple Jack Chewing
Tobacco  
] Apple Sun Thin Chewing Tobacco  
 Beech-Nut® Wintergreen Loose Leaf 3 Oz
Pouch  
 Beech-Nut® Original  
 Bloodhound Thick  
 Black Maria 2lb Chew  
 Bowie Chewing Tobacco  
 Bull Of The Woods 2.1 Oz Brick  
 Cannon Ball Chewing Tobacco  
 Chattanooga Chewing Tobacco

Durango® Loose Leaf 3 Oz Pouch  
 Granger Select Chewing Tobacco  
 H.B Scott Chewing Tobacco  
 J.D Blend Chewing Tobacco 

Lancaster Chewing Tobacco
 Levi Garrate Chewing Tobacco 

Levi Garrate Plug 

Morgan Chewing Tobacco  
 Peachy Chewing Tobacco  
 Red Man Chewing Tobacco  
 Red Man Plug  
 Red Man Select Chewing Tobacco  
 Red Man Gold Chewing Tobacco  
 Red Man Silver Chewing Tobacco  
 Southern Pride Chewing Tobacco  
 Stoker's Butternut Chewing Tobacco  
 Starr Chewing Tobacco 3 Oz  
 Starr Peach Chewing 3 Oz Tobacco  
 Sun Cured #2 Chewing Tobacco  
 Tennessee Chew® Loose Leaf Original 16
Oz.Pouch 
 Tennessee Chew® Loose Leaf Original 8 Oz. Pouch 
 Trophy® 2 Pouch Loose Leaf 3 Oz
Pouch  
 Taylor Pride Chewing Tobacco 

Taylor Pride Plug 

Comments

• AbraxasAbraxas Posts: 5,443
    I suspect the price might render this unworkable. I chew and would buy the occasional packet - probably about as often as I get someone in the US to send me one right now, which is a couple of times a year on average. I just wonder, in the current climate, whether you would get any return. I think this is a great idea - which is what we expect of you - but I don't see it flying off the shelves.

Would a better option not be to invest in some British chewing tobacco? It clearly works for Snuffstore and, whilst still expensive, I would think you would get the stock for far less. And, we do have fantastic home grown chewing tobacco.

Either way, you can put me down for a couple of packs. But there lies the rub - a couple.
  • jbruckusjbruckus Posts: 213

I am just one customer and not a business man so take this for what its worth, but to add to what @snuffster said, and I am in the US, I've always wanted to try some British chewing tobacco. Although I do not use oral tobacco very often, I would still like to try some of the British stuff for curiosities sake. I do plan on making a large snuff purchase around christmas and if you had some , say Oliver Twist, I'd throw a tin in the cart. I also plan on throwing a can of makla, Poschls chema, and maybe a "twist" from gawith hoggarth or sammy gawith.

The fact that snuffstore.co.uk carried the Oliver Twist made me consider them for my next tobacco purchase but since snuff is my mainstay and MrSnuff has a superior assortment (along with some different oral tobaccos i've never tried but want to, ie makla, poschls oral tobacco,and the indian ones) I will be ordering from you.

I'm not sure what the laws are but if you carried something like a General Snus, you'd probably be able to sell some of that too.

• WhalenWhalen Posts: 1,019
    @jbruckus - The Gawith twist is about it, for British, the Malka, Oliver Twist, Chema, whole different animal. These chews mentioned by Dave are the only products I can buy locally, and dirt cheap, so it figures I have no interest in them, although the Stokers was worthy. Just too many health risks associated with constant use.
  • ElwinElwin Posts: 144
    I don't mean to hijack, but I wouldn't mind seeing some Oliver Twist in the lineup.

@Whalen , I've never had a "twist" tobacco, so I wanted to try some. I know i've seen a few other brands of English oral tobacco on other sites, aside from the Oliver, Hoggarth, and Sam Gawith. I've tried just about all those American chews though, they really aren't my thing anymore. Most are very sweet. I agree with you about the health risks. I realize the maklas, poschls chema, and the indian ones are different than british twists and american chew, which is why I'd like to try it ,if only once, out of curiosity. Used to love some fresh los snus too but is too pricey these days.

• SlideSlide Posts: 875
    I think Oliver Twist is a Danish product. Often you can find it in the US at cigar and pipe shops. Expensive for what you are getting.
  • There are some nice one in this list, that is for sure. I second on the health risks on constant use, thus i try not to use too much of it these days and it´s fucking expensive anyway since i am in Germany. The Cannon Ball and the Black Maria are both maybe the best plugs i ever had, had just to add this. ;-)
  • KebAMPKebAMP Posts: 212
    edited November 2011
    I would love to have a retailer that sells american chewing tobacco marked as "nasal snuff" on the declaration form. For some reason SNUS or ORAL TOBACCO do get raped by the canadian customs but so far Nasal snuff goes right through! Depending on the price I would become an occasional at worst, or a regular at best, customer.

I think his major concern is the price, would you buy it at £18 (or $30 give or take)??
  • SpamSpam Posts: 451
    edited November 2011
    I'd probably give the Redman and Beech-Nut a go, if I have the money to spare.
  • WhalenWhalen Posts: 1,019
    Under $4 a pouch most days here.
  • petersukipetersuki Posts: 1,072
    Grimm Triepel Kruse, Chewing strips, turning up at My Smoking Shop.  Anyone tried it? 
  • @petersuki I had a bunch of them last year. Seems to me like way bigger and rougher version of Oliver Twist. It´s a traditional german chewing tobacco made by the sole remaining producer here.
    Thanks.  I might give some a go...
  • AnselAnsel Posts: 120
    Would love to buy Swedish snus from a middleman which i would use as chewing tobacco - made clear  of its change of useage as chewing tobacco by having labels stuck on it saying 'for chewing only' by the retailer...
  • MrSnuffMrSnuff Posts: 1,487
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input.

I will get some Oliver Twist for sure. It has been on my list for ages.

@Snuffster: I carry every British Chew I can find. I there are 40 different Twists. Maybe it is confusing having them under the Twist category rather than chewing tobacco. Or are you referring to something else?

Dave
  • AnselAnsel Posts: 120
    The UK chew is all fire-cured isn't it so more TSNAs?
    Wow Mr Snuff - quite a proposition.
    David - just me not knowing whats on your site:)

• If the price is less than $20can then I will be buying it. Especially if it is Redman.
    Anybody tried Poschls chema makla? I plan on ordering some to satisfy my curiosity but reviews/opinions on it are hard to come by.
  • I tried some Scoal chewing tobacco once. Spit it Two seconds after placing in mouth. Guys, how you do it? It's red hot like somekind of a chilly pepper!
  • DogwallaDogwalla Posts: 942
    You get used to the burn.  I just never really enjoyed the flavor of most dip.  There a stinky, pungent thing about it that doesn't agree with my palette.  Even after I used it as my only source of nicotine about almost three months I still could hardly stand the flavor.
  • Yeah, the flavor is not pleasant. The smell too. I tried to make snuff from it - it was terrible. But the boxes are perfect as a snuffbox.
  • DogwallaDogwalla Posts: 942
    That's why I'm loving the Skoal Snus.  It tastes pretty good, and the cans a parfect for snuff.  I don't feel so bad about buying it either because I don't just throw the contents away.
  • Skoal citrus has the best taste of all dips.
  • dakotasdakotas Posts: 196
    Bought a bag of Red Man Golden Blend for the first time last night, and it's quite enjoyable. Not too sweet in my opinion.
    I have been looking into Oliver Twist. I notice that most sites charge over GBP4 (about $6.30) for 7g. This is actually quite comparable to the US chew once it is over in the UK. At 30g the price comparable price would be $17.35 or $27.

Just a thought.

Dave
    Here is the availability of moist snuff, or dip. I am going to take the plunge and buy maybe 3 manufacturers and whatever flavors they offer. 

My choices are Cope, Skoal and Grizzly, but I am open to suggestion. 

Longhorn
    Kayak
    Gold River
    Grizzly 
    Redman 
    Stocker 
    Timber Wolf
    Copenhagen 
    Husky 
    Skoal 
    Silver Creek 
    Red Seal
    Cougar 
    Hawken 
    Kodiak 

Thanks for your input,

Dave
  • Sly3904Sly3904 Posts: 645
    I'm in the u.s. But would suggest kodiak for dip. That and Copenhagen would be my choices and I've tried most of the brands listed.
  • I would suggest Cope Skoal and Redman, Then youll have some dip and chew.
  • Mark WMark W Posts: 444
    @brandasaur Redman also makes dip.
  • @mr.snuff i am not sure if you can handle the price the way that someone benefits from low retail price. Longhorn, Kayak and Silver Creek are for sure a good bit cheaper then Cope or Kodiak. 
    @mr.snuff I'd highly suggest copenhagen, skoal, and redman. copehagen is my favourite dip, and redman is my favourite chew.
  • @dakotas nice reasoning pal XD
  • @mr.snuff some cope would be great for me too... the straight or black would be of interest
  • PotPoePotPoe Posts: 723
    I second the Cope and Redman. Copenhagun is the best dip, Redman is the best loose chew( i think they make a plug as well).
    I was like a kid in a candy store today. It was all I could do to limit myself to the following for starters. They should be in next week some time.

Copenhagen Fine Cut
    Copenhagen Long Cut Black
    Copenhagen Long Cut Straight
    Copenhagen Long Cut Wintergreen
    Copenhagen Pouch
    Copenhagen Xtra Long Cut Natural
    Skoal Long Cut Apple
    Skoal Long Cut Peach
    Skoal Long Cut Wintergreen
    Skoal Long Cut Berry Blend
    Skoal Long Cut Cherry
    Skoal Long Cut Citrus
    Skoal Long Cut Mint
    Skoal Long Cut Classic
    Grizzly Long Cut Mint
    Grizzly Long Cut Wintergreen

And for the Red Man Chew fans:

Red Man Chewing Tobacco

Hopefully you will approve of my choices. Next time around if there is something missing you would really like, let me know.

Excited? Who me?

Dave

Good job, Mr. Snuff.

I've had all of those you've listed. To those who don't know, "straight" is not plain tobacco, it has a flavor, perhaps a little sweetness and a little spice.

Now, there is Copenhagen, and there is Cope. Are they the same company? Not sure. But Cope has a couple of interesting flavors, like Whiskey Blend and Smooth Hickory. They're very good. Sure to satisfy your inner redneck

:p
  • BartBart Posts: 1,480

"Now, there is Copenhagen, and there is Cope. Are they the same company?"

Yes they are. Possibly 'Cope' is just a marketing job to make a distinction from the Copenhagen Original that has been around for so long?.

Yep. Cope and Copenhagen are one in the same. Black is a very potent. I do not see LongCut, the Fine is the same(smaller grind), only it gets stuck in your teeth and falls apart.
    Skoal Cherry is the candy of american dip. Very sweet and flavorfull, almost to the point of intoxication.
    Copenhagen Long Cut Straight is where it's at. I believe that Cope straight comes in a cardboard can, whereas the Copenhagen is in the plastic can. Not too sure why...
    The Longcut and Fine come in the cardboard can. i belive all the rest are plastic. Both are pure, fermented tobacco goodness. The straight does have a lot of added flavor.
    Maybe it's a regional thing, because both my tins of Copenhagen wintergreen and straight (purchased here in Alabama) are in a plastic can, but I've bought Cope straight in Maine that was in a cardboard can. 

Could be. I don't venture far.

Here in upstate NY (waaaay upstate) the copenhagens i've bought are always cardboard with a metal lid. The Copes are all plastic. I find the cardboards don't keep it fresh as long. They do stamp a date on the bottom. If its more than a month or two past that date, it could be dry.
  • n9inchnailsn9inchnails Posts: 3,207
    edited December 2011
    @mr.snuff would it be possible to get some Cotton Boll twist, I've been dying to try this stuff.
  • bigmickbigmick Posts: 1,193
    Copenhagen is the premium brand, Cope is a budget brand. Same manufacturer.  Around here Cope branded is about half the price of the Copenhagen brand.
  • dlillydlilly Posts: 23
    If you carry the bloodhound plug that would be great for me. I just don't know how well the market would support selling it. I will be looking out for it though. Can't find it anywhere else.