Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sixphotosnuff SWS

Potential Members: Please include a short message in your application to help us weed out spam. Please note that we ARE NOT AN ONLINE STORE.

Toque Silver Dollar

AbraxasAbraxas Posts: 5,450
edited May 2012 in Types of Snuff
I got a pre-release batch of Toque's latest - the Silver Dollar range - and here are a few thoughts:

Firstly, if you like Poschl and have been in snuff-misery because the supply has dried up then you are in for a treat. These snuffs are very 'German' in taste, texture and grind and actually raise the bar; Poschl-like in terms of body but Toque in flavour. They come in 5g 'love em or hate em' twist cans, with a small dosing hole in the side. My problem with these is that they just don't hold enough snuff and with snuff this good you would want a nice 25g tin - I could use 5g in half a day.

The snuff is medium to fine, slightly moist and dark, across the range - so I guess all share the same flour - and comes in Cherry, Raspberry, Apricot, Original, Natural and Spearmint. Each of the flavoured snuffs have that authentic 'tastes like it says on the tin' quality that makes Toque snuffs in general so good. The Raspberry - my favourite of the bunch - is like snuffing a good snuff that has had fresh raspberry juice drizzled in to it. Very, very moreish. All of the flavours are spot on and have a long duration after the pinch. The Apricot is sweet and luscious, the Cherry cries out for a bowl of cream and the Spearmint is...er..very minty. The original is a fresh, cool menthol snuff that had me thinking of snuffs like 'Kennsington'. I love the addition of a natural snuff to this range as well - just good, pure, earthy tobacco. All of the snuffs, apart from the Natural, have a touch of menthol in them to a degree; but very well and sparingly applied - only the Original gives an intense menthol hit.

A superb range of snuffs. To really appreciate them I strongly suggest buying the entire range because they all compliment each other and would suit different parts of the day: original to wake up, spearmint with the first coffee of the day, raspberry to keep you going through the morning, etc etc.

Mario84
·

Comments

• shikitohnoshikitohno Posts: 748
    Any sort of store locator up yet to find out where one can buy this? Would help out quite a bit. I'm afraid I've not seen any Silver Dollar snuff laying about the local tobacconist's yet.
    ·
  • AbraxasAbraxas Posts: 5,450
    Its not available for a couple of weeks.
    ·
  • bigmickbigmick Posts: 1,253
    I'll buy one of each as soon as I can find them. If they are that good I'll buy more. I like the idea of the "dosing hole" since I am a back of the hand snuffer, I rarely pinch.
    ·
  • transistortransistor Posts: 1,158
    I have been looking and looking and looking for a store locator or something- I have found a whole whopping 4 or 5 posts IN ALL on the internet. lol
    ·
  • SpyroSpyro Posts: 969
    I called the US distributor, https://pkcigar.com/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Default.aspx back when Roderick first posted about this. I've spoken with reps a couple of times on the phone and they were very helpful and able to give me listings of retailers near me who had accounts with them. I have arrangements with a tobacco shop near Dallas that supposedly has some on order. I hated to hear the delivery date was pushed back but it sounds worth the wait.
    ·
  • RoderickRoderick Posts: 1,977
    The scary thing I've been told is they have pre-sold the first batch already. They should be filtering into the shops now.
    ·
  • nightcapnightcap Posts: 643
    Any chance in finding some in Canada?
    ·
  • bobbob Posts: 6,811
    sounds awesome. Roderick know if any are going towards state college PA? Probably not but if so I'll buy a round of tins. :)
    ·
  • rdunnionrdunnion Posts: 399
    Bob I'm frequently near State College. My family lives in Mill Hall. Where are you exactly?
    ·
  • nunoHnunoH Posts: 32
    When are they going to be available to order from Toque's website, @Roderick?
    ·
    I think they are planning on selling in Canada Nightcap, I just don't know the ins and outs.

NunoH, we aren't planning on selling on our website. The range is aimed at B&M stores with the idea that they will be available all over the States.
    ·
    @rdunnion in state college proper.
    ·
  • The prices for over-the-counter snuff in Canada are insane (taxes!) but I would love to be able to pick up the occasional tin at the 7-11 or tobbaconist. Especially Toque, and especially with the postal strike looming!
    ·
  • JwalkerJwalker Posts: 121
    Sounds good, I liked poschl because it was easy to take the flavor of their U.S. offerings is kind of meh though.
    ·
  • MikeMooseMikeMoose Posts: 634
    I'd love to be able to buy some Silver Dollar from a local tobacconist. I must have this snuff! :-D
    ·
    You will like it; we just need to work on him to supply it on his site and in larger tins. The raspberry is to die for and 5g is not much for a greedy rat like me:)
    ·
  • BrandasaurBrandasaur Posts: 544
    Unles they have french warnings, english warnings and a list of "toxic constituents" I dont think it will be here. At least not legally.
    ·
  • it seems to me that rasberry smells like the whole plant.  An old friend of mine use to say that some plants "smelled green".  I think that is a mostly apt way to put it in this case,  I just love it.
    ·
  • jamesqm18jamesqm18 Posts: 95
    I cant wait to try it!!
    ·
  • luxaortaluxaorta Posts: 59
    This is a great thing for those of is in the US.
    ·
    Agreed
    ·
  • SnuffSnifferSnuffSniffer Posts: 625
    edited March 2012
    I have tried the Cherry, Maybe I got a bad one but it had a musty taste to it, I prefer the Ozona Cherry better taste and a better tin too.
    TomStrasbourg
    ·
  • , absolutely agreed luxaorta
    ·
  • jazzi_mikejazzi_mike Posts: 258
    Dude I haven't seen it anywhere in the metro-Detroit area still. Whenever I go into a tobacco store and ask for it, I always get the weirdest looks and then they point me to the Skoal.
    ·
  • hookedhooked Posts: 359
    I would buy if and try it if I could. You guys keep talking it up!
    ·
  • @jazzi_mike @hooked if you're interested, send me a PM and I can get you some.
    ·
  • BustaBusta Posts: 35
    I have seen it in northern California. They cost $5 per tin with Ca. Taxes. In a pinch I would buy one but can get three times the amount of W/S snuff for less ordering on line. I did try the silver dollar apricot and it did not agree with me. Have not botherd to try the other flavors yet.
    ·
  • basement_shamanbasement_shaman Posts: 14,500
    I had tried the whole range but the price is too high.$4.00 a tin OUCH.These are emergency stash I keep in the glove box all except the spearmint; transference is definite.   I will stick with my imports. 
    ·
  • Mr_OMr_O Posts: 1,693
    The shop by me charges $4.99, but I had to try a few and support the local snuff market a bit.
    ·
  • $5.49 here. Just can't pay that for 5 grams
    ·
    That's pretty harsh, eh?
    ·
    still cheaper then cigs.
    ·
    Yeah, at least for most... I don't go through 5g a day usually...or a pack even when I'm smoking more than usual, will have to pretty much quit the cigs to be sure.
    ·
  • powahauspowahaus Posts: 37
    Anywhere in new york I can pick this up?
    ·
  • Vito445Vito445 Posts: 470
    I don't understand? What is the point of releasing a sub-par snuff brand? Toque is wonderful once you can handle it. I picked up a tin of silver dollar and it was quite unenjoyable, I liked the tin though, but probably not good for retaining freshness. Silver Dollar Raspberry was dry and nasty. I'll stick to Toque.
    ·
  • n9inchnailsn9inchnails Posts: 3,352
    @Vito445 Silver Dollar is supposed to be a replacement for the Poschl and Dean Swift snuffs no longer available in the US, personally I think he would have been much better off just to get his regular snuffs FDA approved instead of making a whole new snuff and getting it approved. Its kind of insulting to Americans really its like hes saying "you guys aren't good enough for my regular stuff but I'll make snuff based on the shittyest snuff on the planet(Poschl and Dean Swift) and sell that to you."
    ·
    edited June 2012

I know you’re both Toque fans and I really appreciate that. I'm
    sorry to hear you don't like Silver Dollar, fortunately a great many do, but we
    realise you can’t appeal to everyone. I've just had a bit of interesting news
    which you might be interested to know, Silver Dollar is now the number one
    selling European Snuff in America and there's more good news to follow. Big
    secret right now and I can’t say anything but, I don't think US Toque fans will
    be disappointed.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

SnuffinClown
    ·
    If you are saying what I assume you are saying then .;)
    ·
  • SlideSlide Posts: 875
    I'm hopeful my prayers are being answered :)
    ·
    @
    Roderick I here that European snuff company's have to disclosed the contents of there snuff to the US government .In order to sell their product in the states. And I wouldn't blame them for not giving away their trade secrets. Someone could get a hold of that info and crush the company's sales.   
    ·
    Yes, that's true we have to give a full ingredients list to th FDA. It's a risk some won't be willing to take.
    ·
  • TheatreTheatre Posts: 174
    I hear one of the producers of Kendal Brown(maybe Samuel Gawith?) has the original recipe locked away in a vault with only family members having access to the key :)
    ·
    theatre it's the other way round they have only one family member locked in the vault and only the orginal recipe has the key.
    PotPoe
    ·
    edited June 2012
    I think I can say with certainty that no part of the SD release is meant to denigrate the US market, that would be pointless and amount to nothing more than spite - there is no way that that would figure in Roderick's thinking; every one in the snuff trade wants their brand to be up there in lights and the US is too important a market to not take seriously. You make your snuff and make the best business decisions you can about it - making what turns out to be a bad decision does not imply lack of respect it just means it was not the best decision. 

bob
    ·
  • WhalenWhalen Posts: 1,022
    edited June 2012
    "theatre it's the other way round they have only one family member locked
    in the vault and only the orginal recipe has the key"

Thanks for clearing that up bob! That is exactly the way I would do it, you can not be to careful nowadays.

I always keep the key to my safe deposit box in the safe deposit box, and nobody has opened it yet, very safe that way!
    ·
  • ScurvyScurvy Posts: 815
    I've got the SD Original, Raspberry, and Apricot. They're fantastic, my only wish would be to see how much I have left in a tin. I don't have a fancy snuffbox yet and have to keep mine in their original containers. 
    ·

It's the same problem with the Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth 10g containers, many here would advise you to totally avoid them and go for the 25g tubs and tins, as they aren't good at retaining flavor and moiture either. Someone has to say that here every once in a while- don't waste your money on them, as I wish I hadn't. The Germans in the 10g tap boxes (Poschl/Bernards) hold up much better though.

I grabbed the Original, the Raspberry, and the Natural and think they're pretty good.

·
  • transistortransistor Posts: 1,158
    I have UNOPENED CANS OF SD and THEY ARE ALL DRIED OUT ALREADY!!!!!
    TINS WOULD WORK BETTER!!!!
    ·
    @ transistor I had got SD when it arrived at the tobacco shop and it was not moist at all.Yes vaccume packed tins are by far the best for freshness.Don't know why anyone would not want there product to arrive fresh. 
    ·
    Just out of curiosity, why can i not find these snuffs anywhere online?
    ·