Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sixphotosnuff Abraxas Dragun stephemeris

Potential Members: Please include a short message in your application to help us weed out spam. Please note that we ARE NOT AN ONLINE STORE.

Review - Railroad Mills Checkerberry Snuff

Mike_BMike_B Posts: 330
edited July 2010 in General
As others have commented, this snuff smells an awful lot like Wint-o-green life savers. For some that may be a bad thing, but personally I love it. It is moister than most scotches and is a dark brown colour. The moistness makes it very easy to inhale without hitting the throat, and it has a natural sweetness to it. I find it also helps to clear the nasal passages somewhat, without being overwhelming like some of the stronger menthol snuffs.

As a dip it is more user-friendly than a lot of the scotch snuffs because its moisture makes it more similar to dips like skoal and copenhagen. It also gives the mouth the burning sensation that one gets from Copenhagen (that led to the urban legend that it has glass particles or something in it to cut the lip). I'm not sure if that's from the nicotine content, but I sense that the nicotine content is fairly high.

Because it is not sold in the large tins I suspect Checkerberry is not a high seller for Swisher, which seems odd to me because it is similar to Skoal Wintergreen but probably a lot cheaper and just as user-friendly.

There's a reference to checkerberry snuff in Alice Walker's "Everyday Use", a story about an African-American mother's conflicted relationship with her two daughters:

"I looked at her hard. She had filled her bottom lip with checkerberry snuff and
it gave her face a kind of dopey hangdog look. It was Grandma Dee and Big Dee
who taught her how to quilt herself. She stood there with her scarred hands
hidden in the folds of her skirt."(413)

Checkerberry is one of the few snuffs that I don't have an intake preference for--I like it equally well in the nose or lip.

Comments