Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sixphotosnuff Abraxas Dragun stephemeris

Potential Members: Please include a short message in your application to help us weed out spam. Please note that we ARE NOT AN ONLINE STORE.

Is it OK to snuff everyday?? How often do you take snuff?

I want some of your feeling and experiences on taking snuff everyday, multiple times per day.
It has become a part of my day. I carry at least one or two flavors with me wherever I go.
Should I be giving my nose a rest now and then?
DocCherry

Comments

• SnuffboxSnuffbox Posts: 578
    edited April 2009
    I took a week off recently and didn't notice anything when I started again or when I stopped. I was snuffing 6-12 pinches a day for about six months and went up to maybe 30 pinches in a long day.

I never smoked cancer sticks but I do enjoy pipes and cigars. I don't like nicotine much and don't have much tolerance for it. If I take too much snuff I feel bad, like when you have too much coffee. After awhile you get a rhythm going.

Just let how you feel decide what to do.
    Von_Bednar
  • tom502tom502 Posts: 2,520
    edited April 2009
    I have been snuffing all day everyday since the 1st time I ever tried it, about a month and a half ago. I did try to take a day off, but ended up snuffing around 4pm that day. I have never counted my daily sniffs. Sometimes my nose will run, and I'll blow it, and then take another. But it seems others must be doing it more than me, as I can't imagine running out for an extremly long time with the snuff I have collected, so I mean I snuff all day long, what I think are decent sized sniffs, but I hardly make a dent in my tins, of course I switch off all the time too. I don't know if I am chemically hooked, but I find it just such a fun and enjoyable thing, I like to do it, and don't see a real reason not to.
    LithuatybaltBigJ
  • XanderXander Posts: 7,382
    My nose is fine. I'm probably taking something like 20-40 pinches a day, but I never counted. I'm more worried about my throat than my nose. I seem to have to hawk and spit a lot, or try to wash it down with hot tea. I guess I just need to blow before I think I do.
    OleFactoryHugh
  • sneezewortsneezewort Posts: 153
    I pretty much take snuff all day now as it has all but replaced my cigarette habit. I've noticed I've steadily increased the amount and frequency of my nicotine dose (over the last 6 months or so) without any noticeable effects on the schnazola. I breathe much better and the sinuses are more open than they have ever been.

I have no idea how much snuff I use a day, but my use is frequent (several times an hour, much more than when I smoked) and steady, just the way I like it, :-)
    SirSnuff
  • Z_2KZ_2K Posts: 239
    8-10 hits a day, usually 4-5 during work hours and the remainder in the evening.
  • cstokes4cstokes4 Posts: 4,613
    I probably take upwards of 25 hits a day. Sometimes my nose will clog up so I will ease up for a bit, other than that, it's full speed.
  • PhilipSPhilipS Posts: 573
    No idea about how many pinches, but I consume about 8-10 grams a day (KB Original, London Brown, Princes and Best Dark) and have done for decades. With fine snuffs like Irish D Light daily consumption is probably no more than 6-8 grams. My old silver and rosewood snuffbox is deep and long and allows one to gather a good sized wedge of snuff.
  • sandy130674sandy130674 Posts: 1,010
    I have taken snuff everyday, all day, for the last 4 months since I stopped smoking. I have noticed an improvement in my respiratory health and therefore my overall fitness. Some of the darker snuffs can give you a moustache though. How many pinches a day? Never counted, but I get through about 1-2g per day.
  • RoderickRoderick Posts: 1,816
    The head of addictions at a famous British University uses snuff, but he told me, “only when I want to”.
    UweGentlemancloudyman
  • bakdoorbakdoor Posts: 514
    Everyday, all day, for about 10 years now.
    Armymedic604
  • AbraxasAbraxas Posts: 5,431
    Most days for about 30 years now, although I will have rests every now and again for a few days, not for any particular reason, just my addiction to snuff is far less agressive than my addiction to smoke was.

The modern consensus seems to be that snuffing, without any contra indications connected to the individual, is fairly harmless along the lines of coffee drinking. I never give health concerns a second thought and there are no reported cases of dry snuff, taken nasally, causing anyhting worse than congestion from over use. Apparently one idiot got ear cancer from poking it in that particular orifice for 40 years, but to the best of my knowledge that is the sole case. And as famously stated, Wilsons have yet to have single health suit filed after over 200 years of continuous manufacture and marketing. Enjoy..
    Von_Bednar
  • itsukeitsuke Posts: 236
    On days that I don't have to write any papers, it will be between 15-20 pinches a day.
    But when there is a paper (sometimes more than one) due, I will have a pinch every half hour. This is because I need to stay awake 24/7 and I found snuff can help me stay alert (with the help of pots and pots of coffee of course). It's really not healthy at all.
  • apap Posts: 527
    everyday , about 4-5 gr per day !
  • LongcutLongcut Posts: 53
    I think it's about 20-30 pinches a day. I take Schmalzler a lot, so there's a plenty going up my nostrils!
  • LazarusLazarus Posts: 487
    You can olnly judge for yourself whether or not your nose needs a break, you can usually tell as your nose will get very blocked or red and sore so snuffing isn't fun anymore, then its time for a break!

When I first started snuffing my nose got sore on a few occasions, now I can snuff all day and my nose doesn't complain at all.
    Has your intake gone up Laz?
  • I snuff all day everyday. I go through a box of snuff about every four to five days. The box being a poschl 7-10grams. No ill effects so far after about six months except clogging now and then but that can in part be attributed to the fact that I started using 12 hour nasal sprays and when I don't take a dose now and then the nasal passages shut off completely.
  • PieterClaassenPieterClaassen Posts: 2,713
    Roderick, I also only snuff when I want to........and I "want to" about 6 times per hour.
    Armymedic604
  • JarhogJarhog Posts: 633
    It depends on what I am doing that day and what snuff I am using. If I am writing a my computer and it is something I have to think about as I am doing it I can use 10g in a day. Most week days when I am out and about I have 4 or 5 snuffs to start my day and I would say a gram or two when I get home. I dip more during the day than snuff so I do 2 or 3 during the day.
    I switch snuffs off and on throughout the day. It might be interesting to just use one for a day, and see how big a dent my normal usage makes in it. But I like the variety and assortment, so I don't know if I will do that.
  • Z_2KZ_2K Posts: 239
    Geezzz...... I'm just one step removed from being a a 'teatotaler' amongst this crowd. ;-)
  • VikingViking Posts: 459
    To me it varies; some days I pinch every ten minutes, throughout the day, while other days I pinch only a few times. It depends on the snuff type also - with a dark moist snuff, I definitely pinch more often, than with a High Toast type.
    I think I am a chain snuffer. But many times, I'll get the nose run, dab a bit, then eventually have to blow, and then to another pinch. But it is near constant use, unless I'm just busy and not just sitting at my desk. On the go, I usually grab a Poschl container. I think they make the best "on the go" snuffs.
  • I've seen myself go through 10gms in a day but this usually happens on my days off from work. I'm a maintenance technician by trade and i work in a very oily/greasy invironment so i tend not to indulge in snuffing too much in work (taking a pinch with oily hands somewhat diminishes the flavour a tad). If you ever want to call in to see me at work i'll be the one with my safety glasses covered with snuff (as they hang around my neck). My keyboard on my pc suffers the same fate.
    jpb123
    No actually snuffster, probably the opposite at the moment, when I first got into snuff I was using it every single day at least 10-15 times, nowadays I rarely use it 10-15 times a week...which would explain why I'm having trouble getting through my collection!
  • NorwesterNorwester Posts: 91
    If you ever want to call in to see me at work i'll be the one with my safety glasses covered with snuff (as they hang around my neck). My keyboard on my pc suffers the same fate.
    LMAO! Mine end up the same way. One of these times I'll put them on and get my eyes full of snuff. And I dumped probably a 1/2 gram out of my keyboard the other night. I guess I should have tried it.
    One big reason I snuff alot, aside from really liking it and taking to it right away, is my very boring desk job as a file clerk. I can literally sit here all day, and snuff, and brouse the internet. of course I do get my work done too.
    DocCherry
    If I had a desk job I would snuff all day long but unfortunately my job involves being 'out and about' alot and its not always practical to use snuff.
  • sandy130674sandy130674 Posts: 1,010
    More often when I'm not working. I don't have a desk bound job which might be good thing if taking excessive snuff is found to be actually bad for you. I like a bit of twist tobacco if I'm doing gardening or such like to keep me perked-up.
  • hosshoss Posts: 57
    I'm generally at a desk all day. Typically I have a pris of snus in all day and will pop open the snuff tin 2-3 times an hour. As it's allergy season in Texas my mentols travel with me.
  • ibildibild Posts: 165
    No clue, i do snuff all day everyday i go true a 10gr tin in about 2-3 days, so i sniff less them some and more then other!!!
  • JuxtaposerJuxtaposer Posts: 2,892
    Alright! I am starting to get a little jealous. So much snuff, so little time.
  • jpb123jpb123 Posts: 60
    Collierboy, I have the same problem w/ keyboard, May have to get a mini vac!! All day every day back to back at work I take like 4 with me on my forklift and usually a few more in the breakroom in a bag I usually take with me.Also seem to dip and snuff concurrently at work but since my newfound love of snuffing has taken over , i have not taken any of my "moisties" from my sack as I enjoy the Scotches, Maccoboy and Checkerberry more orally and love the versatility of them!!!!
  • Vito445Vito445 Posts: 470
    @Snuffster same goes for me, I take breaks every now and then, usually without notice, and most likely because I don't have that same level of addiction that cigarettes had on me; I a way more in control with snuff.
    @Vito445 It's a weird thing, I mean it has all the nicotine and alkaloids that smoked tobacco has - maybe the other substances in smoke make for a more aggressive adiction. If I go on a journey and forget the snuff box its no big deal, with cigarettes I would have been willing to kill for one. I've always had the occasional smoke since I moved from snuff and smoke to only snuff and usually quite enjoyed it, but last week I had one and it tasted truly awful, no enjoyment whatsoever. Hard to work out what I ever got from it.
    DocCherry
  • WingcamnutWingcamnut Posts: 49
    Every day, at my desk at work probably a pinch very 20 mins or so depends on the Snuff and how long the aromas last, Wow Apple pie doesn't last long and 6 Phot Kailash lasts longer.I also tend to dip into different snuffs during the day, but go to the bit hit snuffs when things begin to drag Snuffstore Cafe Noire.I normally have 10 or so on my PC and just enjoy them as they take my fancy.
  • basement_shamanbasement_shaman Posts: 7,195
    I don't need to snuff every day but why shouldn't I ? My clock is running out I only have 30+/- years left .Is that enough time to enjoy the variety of attainable snuff? never!
    Armymedic604bryanikonOleFactoryHugh
  • SupremeCOJPSupremeCOJP Posts: 49
    When I'm at work?  2-3 times an hour.
    When I'm at home?  2-3 every couple of hours.
    TomStrasbourg
  • Walrus1985Walrus1985 Posts: 1,365

As and when I want to.

Stefan

thorgrimnr
  • cakeanddottlecakeanddottle Posts: 280
    every 30 minutes whether I need it or not
    I'd recommend not to, because I did all the time for a long time, and I'm not sure what it was, the amount, the types, or what, but I had to quit for a while, as I had constant congestion and it was not enjoyable at all. I took a long while off, and got a can of some scotch snuff, but am keeping the usage moderate.
  • junijuni Posts: 12
    I try to sneak in a couple, maybe three at work. Usually a couple at home too.
  • ziggyziggy Posts: 7
    About 20 pinches a day for me. The best is when I wake up and snuff up first thing in the morning, really makes you feel fresh and takes away the grogginess when you have to be up early! Also when I get home from a long day I eat my tea and take a pinch then, makes you feel relaxed and refreshed after a day full of stress and work.

But to the point, yeah I'm sure it's fine to snuff up everyday, just remember to stop if you feel pain or irritation. Also remember to blow your nose regularly too, as what goes up must come down!
  • Mike_BMike_B Posts: 334
    I snuff about 4-5 times a day, but I tend to do about three pinches per nostil when I do.
  • kougykougy Posts: 364
    I snuff about 20 times a day but I am a beginner (4 months) and I am trying to perfect my technique so I try a lot of times but with small pinches.
  • dm_lassedm_lasse Posts: 88
    I would love to use snuff on daily bases but it's like candy to me so i get bored with it and have to change to snus. I've taken like couple pinches in the last two weeks.
  • kougykougy Posts: 364
    @dm_lasse I never tried snus but I read that it contains huge amounts of Nicotine.
  • willcwillc Posts: 1,409
    It really is not easy for me to snuff at work because I am wearing gloves and moving around and sweating most of the time.
    So other than break and lunch I will be snusing.
    Evenings and weekends I snuff much more, never counted but 20-25 might be right.
    I too came to use the smokeless stuff as a route to quit smoking and have come to realize that this stuff is nowhere near as harsh mistress as cigarettes were.
    I don't go batty if I forget my snuff or snus and the good smokeless is rarely in retail shops.
    Since I am still a newb at this I do many different snuffs during the day, so at some point I would actually try to stick with one for a day so I could actually see how much I am using.